The Peoria Friendship House of Christian Service
EMPOWERING FAMILIES BY GIVING THEM HOPE AND A PATH TO PROSPERITY
Our mission is to do the work of Jesus Christ, providing hope, respect, and guidance towards a path to prosperity.
The Peoria Friendship House provides a holistic approach toward a path to overcome poverty through wrap-around services and short and long-term coaching. Individuals and families desiring to improve their circumstances work alongside our Program Managers and create an achievement plan towards overcoming their own individual specific issues and improving their lives. PFH collaborates with other agencies to assist in areas of resources that we do not directly provide to allow the achievement plan and specific goals to be accomplished.
Wondering about all of the events Peoria Friendship House Offers? Check out the fun events we have planned for this month! Don't miss out on the experience to come join us or volunteer! We love and appreciate our community so much!
Peoria Friendship House of Christian Service has been a part of the community of Peoria for over 70 years. Without the support of our 800 Club members PFH would not have been able to help and support the local community.
We are thankful for each and every one of our donors. Through donations from individuals and organizations, PFH has enhanced the lives of Peorians through a variety of programs.
Incorporated in April 1951, Friendship House began as a cooperative effort by the American Baptist Church and the local Council of Churches.
Our first facility, a Quonset hut donated by Bradley University and dubbed “Operation Friendship House”, generated community excitement and served as both missionary residence and recreation center.
The Friendship House Board took a leap of faith in 1957, securing the former Grace Presbyterian Church building at 800 NE Madison Avenue, acquiring ten
times the amount of program space. By 1963, Friendship House of Christian Service had grown to serve nearly 150 families and provide over 23,000 contacts.
Then, with the growth of services and need, in the mid-1970’s, Friendship House needed to create a new space that would allow for that growth for the years to come and the former church building was taken down and a new building was erected in its place, complete with a commercial kitchen, offices, meeting space, classrooms and a full-size gymnasium. Today, that building is the home of all of the amazing services that Friendship House provides with our complete wrap-around services.